|Strawberry Blueberry Crostata|
Before I get into the crostata, I absolutely love going to garage sales, so I wanted to share a find from last weekend with you: 1950s Steelmaster canisters! The owner said they were his wife's grandmother's, and was not wanting to give them up. I bought all four of them for $4:
My sister came over for dinner tonight and since she was bringing pizza, I wanted to make something yummy for dessert. I saw a recipe from Buns in My Oven, and changed it a bit to my liking. This crostata was so good, I had another piece after she left .. and I'm planning on having one for breakfast .. and maybe lunch, too.. It's extremely easy to make. Here's how it's done (full recipe is at the bottom).
Strawberry Blueberry Crostada
|These are your ingredients, so simple.|
Adapted from Buns in My Oven
1 pound strawberries, rinsed, hulled & sliced
1 pint blueberries, rinsed
2 tbsp sugar, for sprinkling
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 pie crust, store bought or homemade
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix together cream cheese, flour, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl
3. Place the pie crust in your pie pan (or you can use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; this method will allow the crostata to be flatter with a smaller amount of crust on the sides). Use a spatula to spread half of the cream cheese mixture on the pie crust leaving at least a 1" border. Place half of the fruit on top of the cream cheese. Layer the remaining cream cheese mixture, then the remaining berries.
4. Fold up the edge of the pie crust
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool. Sprinkle with sugar. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm. I also enjoyed it cold from the refrigerator.